Why 10K a Day…Road to a Million!
10,000 Steps that is!
October 1st I started a challenge – I made the BOLD commitment to myself to get 10,000 STEPS A DAY for 100 Days!
I really didn’t think this would be a big deal – after all, I was used to running a few days a week and on those days I easily had more than 15,000 steps.
I am nearing the halfway mark – and BOY oh BOY it has BEEN a challenge! Now the cold dark morning and evenings are upon us. BUT this will happen! I even house walked the other night (yep exactly that walked around the house for a looong time) and I do not recommend it if you have an alternative even the GYM was better than that. But it is a “thing” check out House Walking on Google!
WHY 10,000 a day?
- To be considered active you need to get 10,000 steps a day – that is about 5 miles.
- Maintaining weight is a challenge during the winter.
- It forces activity when it is easy to stay inside where it is warm!
- Counts towards CDC recommended 150 minutes of moderate exercise a week
- Helps reduce the risk of some health conditions like High Blood Pressure and Heart Disease
While everyone does not NEED 10,000 steps if you have a relatively sedentary job you should strive for at least 7,500 daily.
Are you ready to CHALLENGE Yourself? You can do it! AND Now is the time because when Spring pops up you won’t be starting from scratch!
Steps do not carry over from Day to Day! Why not ….Do Your Body Good and Get UP and Move – today!
How do you track your steps?
- Your phone – there are so many apps you can download (con you have to carry your phone with you ALL the time)
- Here are my favorite tracking devices with a link and cost associated. (I may receive a small commission on these products but any products I endorse I have used or know someone that uses and believe in the product)
- Fitbit Charge 3 – this is Rose Gold – so pretty and you can get a band that matches it – on Amazon this was running about $149.99
- Garmin VIVOMOVE – I just love this and have it in white! I am partial to Garmin as it is highly reliable! A bit big but … $199.99 on Amazon This is not my every day watch just a sometimes watch!
- Garmin Forerunner 235 – This is my running watch but I wear it every day. Might be a little over the top if all you are doing is tracking steps. I love mine and could not recommend it enough!
Here are a few tips I use to effortlessly add steps to my day!
- Park Far Away – don’t try to get the closest parking spot! I try to park in the farthest spot possible from my destination!
- Take the Stairs instead of the Elevator! – enough said plus raise your heart rate!
- Take 2 breaks during the day and WALK – as long as it is not raining I go on at least 2 20-minute walks a day. Benefit – I am more productive at work because I clear my head and come back more focused.
- When I brush my teeth and dry my hair I pace – easily adds a few hundred steps.
- Waiting for the microwave – 1 minute of walking is about 100 steps!
Trying to lose weight? While weight loss products are one of the number one industries in the WORLD – EXERCISE IS FREE and when you incorporate exercise into your day, will only increase your success rate of keeping the pounds off long term.
I love it when there are great products that encourage movement as part of their weight-loss programs! So, if you are looking to stay on track this winter and need a little help here is a great system that encourages activity and healthy eating I like it because it is not a meal replacement plan so you will be able to live a normal life and only have to tweak a few lifestyle habits. Check it out here!
Want more information on how to lose weight and stay focused during the winter months? Subscribe to my email list! Just announced … my 5 Week Health Literacy Class online starting January 7th. Jump Start your health and learn why it is not about a “Diet” but about Primary Food and the Circle of Life! More details to follow – Register NOW to reserve your spot. (Limited Availability)
To your health!
Let’s Get Up and Move!